Modals adalah kata kerja bantu yang memberikan arti tambahandan harus diikuti dengan kata kerja bentuk dasar(Vinf) yang terdiri dari: Shall, should, will, would, can, could, may, might, must, ought to, need, dare, used to.
MODAL + VERB 1
- 1. Can/could/may/might
- Menyatakan suatu kemungkinan suatu peristiwa.
Eg: It might rain tomorrow
- 2. Should
- Menyatakan suatu anjuran/ saran
Eg: You should study hard to pass USM STAN
- Menyatakan arti seharusnya dalam bentuk present
Eg: As agood moslem, We should obey our parents
- 3. Must
- Keharusan mutlak
you must work at department of finance to be rich young man.
- Kesimpulan logis
Andi bought new car, He must be rich.
S + Modals + Have + VIII + Object
- 1. Could have + VIII
Menyatakan suatu yang sebenarnya kejadian yang bisa terjadi diwaktu lampau namun tidak terjadi
- 2. Might have+ V III
Menyatakan suatu kemungkinan dari suatu kejadian yang telah terjadi di waktu lampau.
- 3. Should have + VIII
Menyatakan suatu kejadian yang sehausnya terjadi di waktulampau namun tidak terjadi.
- 4. Mut have + VIII
Menyatakan kesimpulan logis dari kejadian masa lalu.
1. Narjik was absent two days. He____sick.
A. Could be C. might have been
B. will D. should
2. He told me about the history of this village
He_______here for along time
A. must have lived C. would have lived
B. should be living D. ought to have lived
3. There is a bird in a locked room. It _____down the chimney.
A. might have come C. should have come
B. would have come D. should come
4. Bedu passed the exams with flying colour.
She ____hard for it
A. must study C. must have studied
B. should have studied D.should study
5. Miing is the best student in my class. I saw she living his house, but he missed the exam.She____an accident.
A. Should have C. must have had
B. Must have D. should have had
6. All of students of Newton Six supposed to be here at 07.00 p.m
They_______about this meeting
A. Must have forgotten C. will forget
B. May have forgotten D.must forget
7. It could be rain tomorrow.
It means that____rain tomorrow.
A. It should be C. may be it will
B. it must be D. it is necessary
8. She repaired her computer, but it became worse.
A.should have it repaired C. ahould have it repaired
B. must repaired it D. will repaire it
9. The pharmacist _______a record of prescriptions that are filled.
A. may keep C. can keep
B.could keep D. must keep
10. Oneng, together with his boy friend,is watching TV now,actually she ____be doing her homework.
A. might C. would
B. should D. can